Sunday, September 18, 2011

Six Sentence Sunday 9/18/11: SLEEPY HOLLOW DREAMS

Since there's a bit of a nip in the air in the historical, mystical Hudson Valley these days, and candy and costumes are already in the stores, I'll take that as a sign Halloween is coming-- even if the trees and grass are still bright shades of spring and summer green.

When I think of October, I think of Sleepy Hollow. When I think of Sleepy Hollow, I think of SLEEPY HOLLOW DREAMS, my erotic paranormal from The Wild Rose Press.

So instead of six sentences from Surfer Dude or Cole & Lara or other WIPs, I'm going to excerpt mini-bites from SLEEPY HOLLOW DREAMS over the next few weeks.  Gonna try to keep the blog non-X-rated. Stay tuned to see if I'm up to that challenge.

As always, comments welcome.

(And, in the interest of full disclosure, the second sentence here is actually four sentences in the published book. Yeah. I cheated. So sue me.)

Enjoy!

The crisp October breeze tossed a branch against Katy Lyndhurst's half-open window.

Clatter... scratch... scratch... scratch.

A creak from the vicinity of the bedroom closet.

       Bang.

     The accompanying rotten-egg whiff of sulfur made her wrinkle her nose in sleep. More scratching against the windowsill.
 




40 comments:

Hailey Edwards said...

Now that's what I call ominous. Are you thinking of writing a sequel?

Carrie Ann Ryan said...

Kinda spooky and yet I still want to read it! Nice six!

Brien Michaels said...

I love Halloween and creepy stories! Not so thrilled about rotten eggs and sulfur, though. Great six!

Alix said...

Great six, intrigued now to read more.

Anonymous said...

Nice creepy feel! :)

~Xakara
A Way To A Dragon's Heart 6SS

Paula Martin said...

Spooky - and scary!

Jessica E. Subject said...

A very intriguing beginning to a fabulous story! :)

Patricia Preston said...

Fall is my favorite time of year! Love your snippet. Scratching at the window is always a sign of trouble...

Cara Michaels said...

Oooh, I hate those creepy branches! I had one of those that kept me away as a kid, lol.

Fun 6, Taryn. Looking forward to more.

Gemma Parkes said...

This looks like an interesting book Taryn, great snippet!

Liz said...

Love this story - nice six

Lisa Fox said...

I love spooky stuff! This is a great snippet and I'm totally looking forward to the coming weeks!

Graylin Fox said...

Holy crap! Run girl, somethings coming!

Laura Kaye said...

Dun dun dun!!!! Great creep factor! :)

Cherie Marks said...

Uh-oh! Should she investigate the noise? I bet she will even if she shouldn't. Great six!

Anonymous said...

Perfect timing and Great set up for what's coming around the corner...love your six!

Heather Thurmeier said...

Great opening to set the stage for us, Taryn. I loved this book! Happy almost Halloween!

Sondra said...

Creepy. Should she look down the hall? Or under the bed? Great six.

Joanne Stewart said...

Well that was nice and creepy. Great six.

Cara Bristol said...

The smell of sulphur is always a bad sign. LOL. Creepy six. Great job.

Lorien Velez said...

Love Halloween! The last line with more scratching left me with chills. Nicely done.

Kelly's Mom said...

Love the creepy vibe! Great six!

Cate Masters said...

Wonderful creepy atmosphere! I love this time of year too (though there are Christmas decorations in the stores already!) Another excellent six

D Carney said...

She's sleeping pretty hard, isn't she? lol. Get up!

sue said...

Must be the Devil.... nicely done (we get thanksgiving before Halloween here)

Sarah Grimm said...

Ominous six! nicely done!

Cassandra Carr said...

Spooky!!!

Chrystalla Thoma said...

Ooh! *goose bumps* Nicely written.

Unknown said...

I think you should write another spooky sexy read. Same setting, really liked the setting.

Anonymous said...

Something scary's in there. Don't open the door!

Lex Valentine said...

Uh oh. Wonder who - or what - is there...

Jennifer Wilck said...

Ooo, spooky. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Anonymous said...

Great at setting the scene. Quite different from the parts I remember. Janet

lexcade said...

Yay! I'm glad you're featuring this one!

Christine Warner said...

Love your snippet....you drew me in with the Sleepy Hollow title. I love this time of year. Looking forward to reading your 6 next week :)

Anonymous said...

Great spooky six and I'm guessing with the sulphur smell a demon is on the loose.

Stacey said...

I've got this one sitting on my e-reader! I must dig into it SOON! Great snippet!

1000th.monkey said...

Rotten-egg? Ugh! Now that's a powerful smell for a a crisp October day...

Unknown said...

Excellent Six! Definite chills!

J.A. Beard said...

Nice atmosphere. :)

Post a Comment